Search This Blog

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Happy Mother's Day!





~ Mother's Day ~

A celebration of mothers and motherhood, Mother’s Day is observed in many parts of the world. In the United States, where it falls on the second Sunday in May, it became a federal holiday in 1914. Traditions include presenting mothers and other women with flowers, cards and gifts.

Mother's Day is a holiday in honour of mothers that is celebrated in countries throughout the world. In its modern form the day originated in the United States, where it is observed on the second Sunday  in May. Many other countries also celebrate the holiday on this date, while some mark the observance at other times of the year. During the Middle Ages the custom developed of allowing those who had moved away to visit their home parishes and their mothers on Laetare Sunday, the fourth Sunday of Lent. This became Mothering Sunday in Britain, where it continued into modern times, although it has largely been replaced by Mother's Day.

Anna Jarvis of Philadelphia, whose mother had organized women's groups to promote friendship and health, originated Mother's Day; on May 12, 1907, she held a memorial service at her late mother's church in Grafton, West Virginia. Within five years virtually every state was observing the day, and in 1914 President Woodrow Wilson made it a national holiday. Although Jarvis had promoted the wearing of a white carnation as a tribute to one's mother, the custom developed of wearing a red or pink carnation to represent a living mother or a white carnation for a mother who was deceased. Over time the day was expanded to include others, such as grandmothers and aunts, who played mothering roles.

What had originally been primarily a day of honour became associated with the sending of cards and the giving of gifts, however, and, in protest against its commercialization, Jarvis spent the last years of her life trying to abolish the holiday she had brought into being.











Mum, Mom, Mother, Ma...

"Her children arise and called her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her" Proverbs 31:21

Ooook, WHEN?

Motherhood is in many ways a thankless calling. So much of what we do is "behind the scenes" and appears to go unnoticed. And if we would admit it, we really want it that way. There is no need for our family to know every detail of what we do. After all, we are doing it out of love not for attention. Right?

It is easy for mothers to feel a bit unappreciated at times and, if we let ourselves, we can get really worked up about it. But then God reminds me that this is His calling for me in this life and that I am not here for recognition or honor, but to glorify Him... to worship Him in all that I do.

So Mom's whether you are changing diapers and wiping runny noses, or about to! or watching your child spread their wings and fly from the nest, or somewhere in between, enjoy your calling. Every act of service you perform in your family is an act of worship IF you do it with a heart of love. You are Jesus' hands and feet to your family. Pour out His love to them with no expectation of earthly honor and glory for yourself.

My guess is your family appreciates what you do more than you think - it can be seen in their smiles and felt in their hugs. Those are God's blessings for a job well done!












Give Me This Moment

Give me this moment
Don't let time steal you away


Give me this moment
Feeling your gentle movement inside my womb
At night, I lay awake
Feeling your persistent kick


Give me this moment
Seeing you for the first time
They say I'm crazy, but I know
You looked at me, directly in the eye
I knew you were mine


Give me this moment
As I watch you sleep, tucked in tightly beside me
I listen to you breathe
And watch the dream-like look on your face


Give me this moment
Don't let time steal you away


Give me this moment
One day you are smiling, then you are standing
Walking on chubby legs
Reaching for me to pick you up when you fall


Give me this moment
As you learn to speak, read and obey
As I teach you to be strong & independent
I fear the day you will go away


Give me this moment
Never let me forget the butterfly kisses
The nightmares that only momma could scare away
The Boo-boo's that needed my touch


Give me this moment
Don't let time steal you away...