Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Breaking Yokes Part I.



Breaking Yokes - Part I.

Today we will begin another series on getting our thoughts in line with what the Holy Word says. Like the other study on Breaking Free (See May postings) this one also has forty parts and we will look at five each day for our Bible Study until we come to the conclusion.

"Fasting" is about "abstaining" from something. In our case, we are Abstaining or GIVING UP wrong ways of thinking. This is not a "Fast" in the traditional sense where we abstain from food and drink for a period of time- but a "Fast" where we will abstain from having these negative thoughts while the Holy Word and Holy Spirit speaks to us on these issues. So; as you find your mind wandering over to the "negative trail" then with purpose! we will stop our thoughts as they come up and replace them with this study. This is how yokes are broken!

Too often, we make things harder and much more complicated than they really are. Jesus said, "Take My yoke upon you, for My yoke is easy and My burden is light." He did the heavy lifting. Now our job is to 'enter into His rest', by believing what He has already done for us.


1. I can't...

Today's thought that we are fasting from is simply: "I can't..."
There are so many things that we think we CAN'T do.


I can't change. I can't believe that. I can't go on. I can't make it. I can't forgive. I can't recover. I can't get it done. I can't find a job. I can't find a spouse. I can't go back to college. I can't pay the bills. I can't figure this out...and the list could go on and on.

Believe me, this MENTALITY and ATTITUDE, sets us up to fail, to quit, and to live a negative existence. It is a poisonous thought that we must no longer eat or drink of.

From TODAY ON...we're replacing this thought with: "I can".

Philippians 4:13 says: I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHICH STRENGTHENS ME.

There's a saying that goes: "if you think you CAN or you think you CAN'T, you're right." Either way, you're right, because as a man thinks, so is he (Proverbs 23:7).

The Spirit of God lives in you. You CAN do what HE CAN do in you. 1 John 4:17 "As He is, so are we in this world."

A. Think it: "I can"

B. Say it: "I can".

C. Meditate on Philippians 4:13, "I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me!"

D. Give up the thought that there is anything you CAN'T do. GET IT OUT OF YOUR VOCABULARY. Stop yourself every time you feel like saying it OR correct yourself if you do say it.


 
2. I don't have enough

We have embarked upon a journey who's time has come. I have never been more excited and expectant about anything I have been a part of. Stay with me and watch what God will do in your life.

Fasting is very popular, but 'fasting from wrong thinking' is unprecedented - until now. This journey will take us to a place that dieting and abstaining from food, could never get us.

We have fasted from the thought: "I can't". Victory or Defeat in life is determined by what will control the decision making process of your life... and your decisions are determined by your thought life.

When you THINK: CAN'T, you will live: CAN'T. We are going to live: CAN! I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me! Today we are fasting from the thought that says: "I don't have enough".

Now follow me here...

This is a mindset, an attitude that says, "I don't have enough money. I don't have enough time. I don't have enough friends. I don't have enough experience. I don't have enough education..."

This thought is an invisible fence that keeps you in the backyard of lack and deficiency.

Our God calls Himself: El Shaddai - the God of more than enough! We have more than enough of God living inside of us- Let us not think "not enough" anymore. Lets think: More than enough.

In 1 Kings, there was more than enough for Elijah and the widow.
In Exodus, there was more than enough for the children of Israel, every day.

In John 6, there was more than enough bread left over, after Jesus fed the 5000.

In Mark 5, there was more than enough anointing to heal Jairus, the woman with the issue of blood, and the people that were sitting by.

Think this: I always have enough, because Philippians 4:19 says, God shall supply ALL my needs, according to His riches.

Say it: I always have enough. My God is more than enough. He will open the windows of heaven and pour out a blessing that there will not be room enough to receive.

He gives back to me, good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over!

Sow a seed: Share what you are learning. Not only does sowing a seed change someone else's life. But it reinforces your new THOUGHT system, that YOU DO HAVE ENOUGH!


 
3. I'm overwhelmed

Feeling overwhelmed? Today's fast from wrong thinking is for you! Were fasting today from the thought: "I'm overwhelmed". And the thoughts that go with it: "This will take forever. I've got too much to do. This is too much for me to take. There isn't enough time. I can't take it anymore." 

These thoughts have to go! Today! How?

First, everything you see in this world was created in 6 days. God is in the business of getting things done, and getting them done fast. EXPECT HIS HELP TODAY. You can't do it alone.

Most people don't understand what Jesus meant when He said, "Take My yoke upon you..."

A yoke is a harness or instrument placed upon TWO oxen. It causes them to plow together, so that when one gets weak or OVERWHELMED, he can continue to be pulled by the other. When we feel overwhelmed we need to TAKE HIS YOKE. That means: He is attached to us, and will help carry the load. Of course, He ends up doing most of the carrying, so:

Cast your cares upon Him. He will care for you. (1 Peter 5:7.) How? Be honest. Tell him what's wrong (what's up). Ask Him to carry it for you. Believe that He will.

See yourself attached to Him (yoked to Him). He holds you up.

Begin to believe that you can handle anything. BELIEVE THIS TODAY. You can handle anything. Mark 9:23 "All things are possible for those who believe."

Think it. I can handle anything today, because I am yoked to Jesus.

Say it. I can handle anything today, because I am yoked to Jesus.

I want you to realize something. We're developing a habit. We're forming the habit of ABSTAINING from negative thinking. When the thought comes back, you can go back to that day's lesson. Go over it again, and again.

There a few things that I can honestly say I know are from God. This is one of them. If we will fast from these thoughts daily, we will have lasting change in our lives. We are raising up an army of people who will think right, therefore live right!

Success or failure in life is created by how you think. Proverbs 23:7 (you'll see me quote this countless times), "As a man thinks, so is he". You are NOT GOING TO FAIL. You are the head and not the tail!


 
4. Tragedy and Suffering 

It is important we keep our eye on the ball. We are fasting (abstaining from, GIVING UP) wrong ways of thinking. That means there are certain mindsets and beliefs in our heads, that we have to eliminate. They are toxic and poisonous to the victorious life we desire to live. To keep thinking the same things, and expect our lives to change, is absurd. 

Today's thought that we're fasting from has to do with tragedy and suffering. When something bad happens it's easy for fear to creep in, and to think we are open game or sitting ducks for Satan or twisted people to strike at any time.

It's wrong to think: Something bad might happen to me or my family.

DO NOT open the door to the expectation of evil. Your mind may argue with this, but that's why we're going to fast from this thought. Of course, WE MUST have compassion, prayer, and practical support for those who have suffered, but we cannot allow what has happened to create our expectations.

Job CONTINUALLY THOUGHT something bad might happen to his family. And then it did. He said, "What I have feared has come upon me". (Job 3:25)

Lets take this thought captive. How?

BELIEVE God's promise: Psalm 91:10 - No evil shall befall me, nor shall any plague come near my tent. (Evil can't get close to you, harm can't get through the door. He ordered His angels to guard you wherever you go.)

THINK within yourself: "No weapon formed against me shall prosper" (Isaiah 54:17).

FILL your mind and heart with this, over and over today, until it starts coming out of your mouth.

KNOW that God brings His Word to pass, when we believe it. Jeremiah 1:12 says "I am watching over My word to perform it."

EXPECT something good to happen to you and your family.



5. I'm so worried

Fasting from these thoughts is developing a HABIT of RIGHT THINKING. Not only are we overcoming each individual thought; but, as we are consistent at this, we will reverse the tendency of thinking negatively into thinking positively. This is how we change from the inside out! Proverbs 23:7 "As a man thinks within, so is he." 

Today, we are fasting from the thought: "I'm so worried."

Worry not only has the power to weigh us down and depress us, but it also chokes out the Word of God that is sown in our heart. The key to fasting from this thought, is to realize that worry is a habit. The more you do it, the more you become addicted to it. People try to comfort themselves with worry, and yet it has the exact opposite effect. We'll break that habit, by fasting from the thought: "I'm so worried." How?

1. First, you have to RECOGNIZE that worry does NO GOOD. Jesus said in Matthew 6:27-29, "Can all your worries add a single moment to your life? And why worry about your clothing? Look at the lilies of the field and how they grow. They don't work or make their clothing, yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are."

2. Worry hurts. It produces burdens and sickness. Proverbs 12:25 says "Worry weighs a person down." When you know something is hurting you, you'll usually stop doing it.

3. Since worry is "thinking about things that are wrong", start thinking about all the things that are right in your life. Psalm 103:1-5 "...forget not one of His benefits, who pardons your iniquities, heals your diseases, redeems your life from destruction, crowns you with lovingkindness and compassion, and satisfies your years with good things...".

4. Treat worry as a SIGNAL to pray. Turn it around. Use worry as a weapon. It's telling you to pray! Philippians 4:6-7 "Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank Him for all He has done. Then you will experience God's peace..."

5. Focus on God's purpose for your life. (to win souls, to serve others, to be a blessing, etc.) Matthew 6:25 "That is why I tell you not to worry about everyday life- whether you have enough food and drink, or enough clothes to wear. Isn't life more than food, and your body more than clothing?"

6. TAKE A LOOK OUTSIDE ...notice Jesus said, "look at the birds," "look at the lilies of the field," and "look at the grass" He wants us to look outside and notice His care over creation. YOU ARE THE CROWN OF HIS CREATION. Expect His CARE TODAY!

THOUGHTS are more POWERFUL then all of the Enemy's demons combined! Think right, live right! and Have a worry-free day! Amen?