Thursday, September 4, 2014
Easy Peasy Doily Pumpkins
Super Easy Doily Pumpkins
These Vintage Doily Pumpkins are the perfect way to decorate for the fall. Decoupaged with vintage lace doilies in various colors, this no carve pumpkin decorating idea is great for Fall tablescapes, Weddings, Thanksgiving, and even Halloween. You can use some black lace to add a more festive Halloween touch, or dye crocheted doilies various fall colors for a Thanksgiving centerpiece.
Vintage doilies in shades of white, cream, and ecru
Dried real gourds or craft store faux pumpkins and gourds
Mod Podge for Fabric (make sure to get made for Fabric- the traditional one used for paper decoupage won't stick properly)
Paintbrush or foam brush
Spray paint in an off-white or ivory
1. The only prep work I did prior to painting was covering the gourd stems with tin foil.
2. A couple light coats of paint with drying time in between was adequate to give the pumpkins an even color.
3. I selected just the right doilies to fit each pumpkin. I cut some of them apart into smaller shapes that were easier to fit onto the pumpkin. For the two small pumpkins, I just used one whole doily which I slipped over the stem to create a slightly different look.
4. I usually cover my work table with wax paper when I work with Mod Podge. I followed the directions on the bottle when applying the Fabric Mod Podge to the doilies.
5. After coating one side of the doilies, place them on the pumpkin and tap all the edges down with your fingers. Once the pieces are adhered to the pumpkins, wait for two hours while the initial coat dries. Then a topcoat of Mod Podge can be applied to the entire piece.
Didn't I say it was super easy?